Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The language of...

Last weekend, my buddy got married to his long time girlfriend.  Their son was happy about it, in a few years he'll be real happy about it.
It was a fun time, to be sure, I'd voluntarily be in another wedding if given the chance.
Saw lots of cool people do cool things.  Who would have guessed that Sean and Katie were such aces on the camera?  I would have liked it if Matters showed up, but such is life.
What I'm wondering about are grudges and animosity.
What's up with them and why do they exist?  The cliche "why can't we all just get along?" often pops into my head.  Until, that is, I lengthened one or I guess, didn't hear the apologist out.  Of course, I have no clue if she was actually an apologist.
What was her deal?  Was she jealous that Caro and I appeared to have a really great time while her and Johnners were hardly seen during the festivities that followed the ceremony?  Did that prompt her to approach me, with Uncle emmm-Scotty, no less?
I suppose I'll never really know.  I see her once or twice a year, at best, and never found her a particularly interesting person to talk with.  I remember the first time I met her, we rode in the car to Jimmy's cabin slugging down beers and joking around.  Then, I said something forceful, which I'm one to do, and didn't apologize for it.  Then, over the years, I had to endure countless smart-assed remarks and rude comments directed straight at me whilst she chuckled her fat rolls up and down.  I sat there and took it, out of respect for Johnners.  Then, after I made a personal pact to tell her off, she seemed skittish and didn't approach me the next half dozen times I was forced into her presence.
So, what should I do?  I think I'll talk to her next time, sort of "finish what I started" and move forward.
Here's my dialogue:
"Jaque, since the first day I ever met you four years ago, you've been a total asshole to me for no apparent reason other than my sometimes forceful personality.  I never understood why you held some effed up personal grudge against me, nor do I care.  I sat and took it due to my respect for your significant other, who obviously loves the hell out of you.  I'm not apologizing, as I see no reason to; I've done nothing wrong in my opinion.  Rather, this is a peace offering, and only that.  I don't really want to be your personal friend, but if we're in the same place, I promise not to be a cold, distant asshole to you and no one else.  I will actually say hi to you and if I'm feeling squirlly, I may even ask how you're doing and engage in brief periods of small-talk type conversation.  That's where it ends, though.  I've taken too much guff from you over the years and believe I've seen your true colors (fuck, another cliche, I'm on a friggin role here!), and have concluded that we're either miles apart in personality or mere millimeters apart.  Either of which make for a good friendship match.  That being said, let's shake on it never to be assholes to each other again.  Practice tolerance, and I shall do the same.  Good day to you, Jaque."
There, that should do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment